Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology #2 purchase--help

Currently have a DS920+ and it's working great with 4-18TB drives. I NEED a backup solution though as I'm adding films that are UHD (about 50-90 gigs) and I'm at about 25% that's not currently backed up. After watching/reading a bunch of your stuff (and other sites), I think I've come to the conclusion that instead of buying a Synology DX517 to use as backup--I'd buy another Syn NAS for that. However, I share my Plex library with family and a couple of friends, SO I'd use the 920+ as a transcoding NAS/backup and a newer 923+ as a local Plex server/backup that wouldn't need transcoding (the 923+ has a Rizen) as I'm using an Apple TV and I've connected the NAS to it with Ethernet. I would hope that I could use the 923+ locally and still get my 4K films to play without issues. I hate that Syn can't improve their current lineup, but I'm more comfortable with their GUI. Would this be the way to go for my use case? I need to move soon as I'm nervous about my lack of backups.
Based on your needs for expanding storage and ensuring robust backup solutions while maintaining smooth Plex streaming capabilities, opting for the Synology DS923+ alongside your existing DS920+ seems like a practical choice. The DS923+ with its AMD Ryzen processor is well-suited for local Plex streaming without transcoding needs, especially when connected via Ethernet to your Apple TV. This setup allows you to segregate tasks effectively—using the DS920+ for transcoding and backup duties, while the DS923+ handles local Plex serving and additional backups. Synology's user-friendly interface and reliable performance make it a comfortable choice despite its current lineup limitations.
(06-26-2024, 11:46 AM)Ed Wrote: Based on your needs for expanding storage and ensuring robust backup solutions while maintaining smooth Plex streaming capabilities, opting for the Synology DS923+ alongside your existing DS920+ seems like a practical choice. The DS923+ with its AMD Ryzen processor is well-suited for local Plex streaming without transcoding needs, especially when connected via Ethernet to your Apple TV. This setup allows you to segregate tasks effectively—using the DS920+ for transcoding and backup duties, while the DS923+ handles local Plex serving and additional backups. Synology's user-friendly interface and reliable performance make it a comfortable choice despite its current lineup limitations.

Hi, I submitted this question. So, the more that I read here about Synology and their apparent lack of a desire to upgrade their prosumer offerings, I started wondering if I should move to Qnap. 

It is concerning that they have had ransomware issues in their recent past, but like all companies that have security holes—they’re only as good as their efforts to remedy the situation. From what I can see, it looks like Qnap has taken those steps. Add to that, their hardware seems to be much more robust than what Synology is currently offering.  I fear that if I go to a Synology solution and they cut the prosumer crowd loose that I’ll be kicking myself for not better future proofing my system.  

While I do like the ease of DSM, I could crack open a book or two to learn about Qnap’s OS or install an alternate OS. What Qnap 6 or 8 bay solution would you suggest? 

Also to clarify, I was planning to keep two separate Plex servers running on the two NAS boxes—both sync’d and backed up to each other.  The 920+ would be for external use only and the other wouldn’t necessarily require transcoding for local home use.