Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SSD Cache Crash

While traveling, I got a message saying first that I had checksum errors. Then I received a message saying my Volume 1 had gone to Read Only mode and then, lastly I got a message saying that my SSD Cache had crashed. I'm not sure what's going on and since I'm still traveling, I just shut my NAS down. My question is though, do you think the root cause of my problem is the SSD cache? If so, can I just go to the Storage section and "deactivate" the SSD cache? I have two 500GB NVMe SSDs installed in a Synology DS1522+ NAS which is about 6 months old. I am a home user and, after watching your video on SSD caching, the NVMe was likely overkill. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Skip
Based on the error messages you received (checksum errors, volume going to Read Only mode, SSD cache crash), it's likely that the SSD cache could be causing the issue. SSD caches can sometimes encounter errors due to various reasons such as drive failure, improper shutdowns, or firmware issues.

Deactivating SSD Cache:
Yes, you can try deactivating the SSD cache to see if that resolves the problem. Here’s how you can do it:

Navigate to Storage Manager.
Select SSD Cache from the sidebar.
Find your SSD cache volume and select Deactivate.
Follow the prompts to confirm and deactivate the SSD cache.
Further Steps:

After deactivating the SSD cache, monitor the system for stability. Check if the NAS operates normally without encountering the previous issues.
If the NAS continues to operate in Read Only mode or shows other errors, you may need to investigate further into the underlying cause. This could involve checking the health of your hard drives, running diagnostic tests, or contacting Synology support for assistance.