Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

mixing drive brands in synology nas

I currently have 2x WD DC530's (14TB) in my loungeroom nas. Sure they are a bit noisy, but I like the reassuring clunk (of quality) they make. Should I stick to WD DC530's when expanding, or is it ok to pick another brand? Also, is it possible to go from raid 5 to SHR ??

Cheers

OZJohnno
Great to hear about your current setup with the WD DC530 drives in your NAS! Mixing drive brands in a Synology NAS is generally okay, but it's essential to consider a few factors. While it's recommended to use drives of similar specifications (like RPM, cache size, and NAS-optimized features), you can mix brands as long as they are compatible with your NAS model and each other.

When expanding your storage, ensure the new drives are of the same capacity and speed as your existing WD DC530 drives to maintain optimal performance and reliability. It's also crucial to have a backup of your data before proceeding with any changes to your storage configuration.

Regarding RAID 5 to SHR conversion, Synology NAS does not support direct conversion from RAID 5 to SHR. If you want to switch to SHR, you'll need to back up your data, recreate the storage pool using SHR, and then restore your data from the backup.

https://kb.synology.com/en-id/DSM/help/D...?version=7