Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New NAS

Hi

I’m considering replacing my aging Synology 2bay with a DS923+, 3 Samsung 870 QVO 2TB Sata SSDs, 1 Hat3300-4T or 6T ( or equivalent), the SSD’s in Raid configuration, the HardDrive for local backups of the SSD’s and extra temporary workspace if required. I don’t have a huge data volume, but it is slowly growing. The NAS is providing Time Machine and Windows backups plus shared family storage of music, photos and some file storage.

I’m attracted to using SSD’s in the NAS for the quiet operation, so may not opt for the HardDrive in the 4th bay.

I’ll keep the old NAS for HyperBackups of the new NAS in the short term.

Q? Is it sensible to buy now?
Q? Is the proposed config any good?
Q? Are there any alternatives that can offer similar functionality to Synology, particularly Cloud Station file sync between the NAS, my Mac and partners PC?

Many thanks

Neil

Thank you for reaching out! It sounds like you're planning a thoughtful upgrade for your NAS setup. Let's address your questions one by one:

Is it sensible to buy now?
Considering your current NAS is aging and your storage needs are slowly growing, upgrading to a new NAS like the DS923+ would be a sensible decision. The DS923+ offers enhanced performance, capacity, and features compared to older models, ensuring it can accommodate your expanding data requirements and provide better overall performance.

Is the proposed config any good?
Your proposed configuration with the DS923+ and three Samsung 870 QVO 2TB SATA SSDs in RAID configuration, along with a HAT3300-4T or 6T hard drive for local backups, seems well thought out. Utilizing SSDs for primary storage will ensure fast access to your data and quiet operation, while the additional hard drive can serve as a reliable backup destination and temporary workspace. This setup should effectively meet your current and future storage needs.

Are there any alternatives that can offer similar functionality to Synology, particularly Cloud Station file sync?
While Synology is renowned for its feature-rich NAS solutions and Cloud Station file sync functionality, there are alternatives in the market that offer similar capabilities. QNAP, for example, provides a range of NAS models with robust features and cloud sync options comparable to Synology. Models such as the TS-664 offer excellent performance and compatibility with Mac and PC systems for seamless file synchronization.