Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Setuping first NAS for video editing with 2-3 computers

Hi,

I'm tired of using multiple hard drives with the same project to render different things. I need a NAS or home cloud storage so I can work on the same media with my different computers.

I wish I had asked you first; however, now that I'm mid-way through this Nas rabbit hole, I don't understand how it works.

I have a Synology NAS DS1821+. I have (8) WD 18TB. I'm thinking of RAID 5. I want the storage size and speed. I have a dual port 10gbe card, the E10G18-T2.

I heard I needed a switch, so I invested in TP-Link TL-SX1008. After watching your video, I wondered if I needed a managed switch.

Now would like help setting it all up.
You're on the right track with your setup for video editing using the Synology DS1821+ and those 18TB WD drives in RAID 5. With RAID 5, you'll get a good balance of storage efficiency and redundancy, providing you with around 126TB of usable space. This configuration will also help with read speeds, crucial for video editing workflows. Pairing your DS1821+ with the dual-port 10GbE card, the E10G18-T2, will allow for high-speed data transfers, significantly improving performance across your network.

Your choice of the TP-Link TL-SX1008 is solid; it's a reliable unmanaged 10GbE switch, perfect for direct connections without the complexity of managing network settings. For your needs, an unmanaged switch is typically sufficient, especially since your primary focus is on high-speed, uninterrupted data access between your NAS and multiple computers. However, if you foresee needing advanced features like VLANs, Quality of Service (QoS), or network monitoring in the future, a managed switch might be worth considering.

Given your setup, the DS1821+ is well-suited for handling large video files, and with NVMe SSD caching, you can further enhance performance, especially if you find the direct read/write speeds from the HDD array aren't meeting your needs. For NVMe SSD caching, look into models with high durability, like the Seagate FireCuda 520 or WD Red SN700, which have good endurance ratings for frequent read and write operations. More details on suitable NVMe models can be found here: https://nascompares.com/answer/nvme-m-2-...dwpd-mtbf/.