Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cheap NAS for home

I have 2 Sonos. I don't use Spotify or similar. I have a USB HDD with all my music on it. For years I've been streaming my music from it by plugging it into USB port on my router. Sonos have, among much else that they've deliberately crippled in their latest software update, finally made it so that it can't use SMB1. Since my router is limited to this, it has no access to my music.
I understand that a better solution is a NAS device. I've been aware of them for a while but as long as Sonos just worked I had no incentive to change. Now I do.
Ideally, I'd just like to do two things:
1. stream the music I had on my HDD to my Sonos by sharing it with an SMB2... thing.
2. be able to back up the contents of my desktop machine, which has about a terabyte of storage.
Ideally, I think I'd like a RAID with two 1Tb drives. Will that do the job? Right now I stream movies I have on my desktop machine to my Roku or PS4 with DLNA - can a NAS serve these?

Please advise. Thanks.
Yes, the Synology DS223 is a good budget option for your basic needs. It falls within your £200 price range and can handle SMB2 file sharing for your Sonos music and basic backups for your desktop. It also supports RAID 1 configuration and can act as a DLNA server to stream movies to your Roku or PS4.