Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Jonsbo n2

Hey, first thank you for everything you do, I guess said from the whole community!! So my plan is to build relatively low in electricity demand Homelab with TrueNAS scale. The hardware I plan is: ASRock B760M-ITX, 32ram single stick for now, 1TB Samsung 990, 5x20TB exos x20 in RAID5, i5-13600, pci card for extra sata ports in the jonsbo N2. The idea is to run TrueNAS and virtualize/container in it Home assistant with bunch of add-ons needed, Jellyfin with requester, Sonarr and the whole gang there, Adguard, Nextcloud, Vaultwarden and perhaps some other small things I'll experiment with. I calculated that on theory it should consume around 90kW per month(don't know rlly). Is that whole thing sound reasonable to you and would you change something in this scenario? I also for routers plan Deco x60 so no 2.5 for now I guess.
Your plan to build a low-power homelab with the specified hardware and software setup sounds feasible and well thought out. Here are a few considerations and suggestions to ensure everything works smoothly and efficiently:

Hardware
Motherboard (ASRock B760M-ITX) and CPU (i5-13600):

The ASRock B760M-ITX is a solid choice for a compact build, and the i5-13600 should provide ample processing power for your intended workloads, including virtualization and running multiple services.
RAM (32GB single stick):

For TrueNAS and virtualization, consider adding a second stick of 32GB RAM in the future to benefit from dual-channel memory, which can improve performance. However, starting with a single 32GB stick is fine for now.
Storage (1TB Samsung 990 and 5x20TB Seagate Exos X20):

The Samsung 990 SSD is an excellent choice for fast storage, ideal for the operating system and VMs/containers.
RAID 5 with 5x20TB drives will provide a good balance between redundancy and usable storage (approximately 80TB usable space).
PCI Card for Extra SATA Ports:

Ensure the PCI card is compatible with your motherboard and has enough ports to support all your drives.
Case (Jonsbo N2):

The Jonsbo N2 is compact and should accommodate your hardware, but make sure there is adequate cooling and airflow, especially with multiple drives and a relatively powerful CPU.
Software
TrueNAS SCALE:

TrueNAS SCALE is a robust choice for managing storage and running applications in containers/VMs. It's well-suited for your needs, including data storage, media server (Jellyfin), home automation (Home Assistant), and other services.
Virtualization and Containers:

Your planned services (Home Assistant, Jellyfin, Sonarr, Adguard, Nextcloud, Vaultwarden) should run smoothly on TrueNAS SCALE. Just ensure you allocate enough resources (CPU, RAM) to each VM/container based on its requirements.
Network
Deco X60 Routers:
While Deco X60 routers are good, they lack 2.5Gbps Ethernet ports, which might limit your network speed, especially if you plan to stream high-definition content or transfer large files frequently. However, for most home use cases, Gigabit Ethernet should suffice.
Power Consumption
Power Consumption Estimate:
Your estimated power consumption of 90kWh per month sounds reasonable for the hardware listed. This translates to an average of about 125W continuous power draw (90kWh/720 hours).
Budget Consideration
With a budget of $1000, here are some cost considerations:

CPU: Intel i5-13600 (around $250)
Motherboard: ASRock B760M-ITX (around $150)
RAM: 32GB single stick (around $100)
SSD: 1TB Samsung 990 (around $100)
HDDs: 5x20TB Seagate Exos X20 (approximately $300-400 each, totaling around $1500-$2000)
PCI Card: Extra SATA ports card (around $50)
Case: Jonsbo N2 (around $100)
The total for the hard drives alone exceeds your budget, so you might need to adjust your budget or purchase drives incrementally.