Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Multiple volumes and multiple drives.

Hi! I would like to know what my best plan of action would be in this situation. I'm getting a NAS (Asustor AS7110T) to use strictly for multimedia. For example, I'd like to know if I have a volume for just movies and the volume gets full and I have to make another volume for more movies, filling up the hard drive and the movie collection bleeds over to another hard drive. Will I still be able to access the movies and will they be seen by a program like Plex Media Server if they're in multiple drives/volumes? I hope that makes sense. Thank you in advance for your help. I'm new to NAS and am trying to learn as much as I can so I don't make any beginner's mistakes.
Congratulations on your decision to delve into the world of NAS for your multimedia needs! To address your query, the Asustor AS7110T offers the flexibility to create multiple volumes, each spanning across multiple drives if needed. In the scenario you described, where your movie collection exceeds the capacity of one volume and spills over to another, rest assured that you can still access your movies seamlessly.

Programs like Plex Media Server can indeed recognize and catalog movies stored across multiple volumes or drives. As long as you set up Plex to scan all relevant locations where your movies are stored, it will aggregate them into your media library, ensuring easy access and organization.

When configuring your NAS, consider creating separate volumes for different types of media (e.g., one for movies, another for TV shows, etc.) to streamline management and optimize performance. Additionally, keep an eye on your storage usage to anticipate when to expand or create new volumes to accommodate your growing collection.