Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS system

Looking to get into NAS for the first time and trying to figure out what to do. Looking at a 2 bay Synology NAS with 1 or 2 WD Red drives mainly for backup. One question is should I use a NAS with only one drive? In my situation, there may be times where I may not use the NAS for months or even maybe a year at a time. Would a NAS be a waste if I am not using it that often? I don't deal with alot of data, maybe have 4tb at the very most and really doesn't grow that fast at all. Do have 3 computers that I would like to backup to the NAS if I get one. Currently have 3 hard drives that I hook up to a single computer using an external hard drive reader. For me, I tend to have trouble remembering and over time, I lose track and what has been backed up and when. Thinking a NAS would help make that process easier. This is mostly home use although we are a business as well, but a small seasonal business. Thought about building my own NAS but do want to keep it simple as possible. Ty
Given your needs for backup and simplicity, a 2-bay Synology NAS with WD Red drives seems like a suitable choice. While using a NAS with only one drive is feasible, it's important to consider redundancy and data protection, especially if you're relying on it for backup. Since you may not use the NAS frequently, having a backup solution that remains reliable during periods of inactivity is crucial. With a NAS, you can automate backups from multiple computers, helping you stay organized and ensuring that your data is consistently protected. Additionally, the NAS can serve both your home and small business needs, offering a versatile storage solution. Considering your preference for simplicity, opting for a pre-built NAS like Synology eliminates the complexities of DIY setups, providing an efficient and user-friendly experience. Overall, investing in a 2-bay Synology NAS offers peace of mind, streamlined backup processes, and scalable storage for your growing data needs.
https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/