Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology NAS Backup

I currently have a DSM923+ with 4 x 4 TB drives installed using RAID for 12 TB available space. I have been using HyperBackup and external USB drives for backup. Like many others have reported, the user experience with this option is fairly bad. Is the practical experience of users that if I added a second NAS at some other location for backup purposes, my experience would be truly less painful? Recommendations on configuration? Can I just buy a simple 1/2 bay NAS with a single 16 TB drive?
Adding a second NAS at a different location for backup purposes can indeed enhance your backup experience and provide greater peace of mind. By setting up a remote backup solution, you ensure that your data remains safe even in the event of a disaster affecting your primary location. In terms of configuration, you have several options. One approach is to set up a backup task using Synology's built-in HyperBackup or Snapshot Replication features to replicate data from your DSM923+ to the secondary NAS. Alternatively, you can use a simpler NAS with a single large capacity drive, such as a 16 TB drive, for basic backup purposes. This setup would provide a straightforward and cost-effective solution, although it may lack some of the advanced features available on more powerful NAS units. Ultimately, the best configuration depends on your specific backup needs, budget, and preferences.