Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

do I need to worry about transcoding??

I need some help understanding if my particular use case needs to worry about Plex Hardware Transcoding and if I NEED to buy a NAS with Graphics Support on the CPU, or if I can get a NAS with a Ryzen in it. My name will primarily be a Plex server (I have Plex pass) that I'm going to use almost exclusively on my local home network. I would like to have the option to watch remotely on my phone or tablet, but I know I’ll rarely if (ever use) that feature. I do have a lot of HVEC/x265 files, but none of them are 4K. Most are 720, but I'm starting to download my files in 1080p, hence wanting to switch from a 4tb USB HDD to a NAS. Im relatively certain my current Roku smart tv can natively play HVEC/.265 via the Plex app but im not positive and i dont really understand how to check. Given that information, do you believe I need an intel CPU NAS, or would a Ryzen NAS work just fine for me?
Considering your usage scenario, transcoding may not be a pressing concern for you. Since you primarily utilize Plex on your local home network and seldom stream remotely, the necessity for transcoding is likely minimal. Moreover, your Roku smart TV's native compatibility with HVEC/x265 files diminishes the need for transcoding. Given these aspects, a NAS featuring a Celeron CPU with a built-in transcoder, such as the DS423+, should suffice for your requirements. Celeron CPUs equipped with transcoding capabilities offer efficient performance, making them suitable for serving Plex content to devices within your home network. Additionally, investing in a NAS like the DS423+ within your specified budget range allows you to expand your storage capacity to accommodate your growing collection of 720p and 1080p files.
https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/