Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I'm unsure which NAS to buy

I have a Mac with BigSur OS (11.7.10) that has been connected to a Promise Pegasus R4 NAS for about 5 years, suddenly 3 out of 4 disks have failed and I'm desperate... I would like advice on which NAS to buy between Synology and QNAP with 4 disks of 4 or 5 or 6 TB each. What I ask from your experience is which of the two gives greater guarantees on durability over time. I don't care about speed or loudness but which of the two is more likely to not suddenly leave me with my ass on the ground. Thank you.
For reliable long-term durability, both Synology and QNAP are reputable brands with solid track records. However, there are some differences in their approaches to hardware and software that might influence your decision.

Synology tends to focus more on user-friendly software and ecosystem integration, with frequent updates and a wide range of supported apps. Their DSM (DiskStation Manager) software is known for its stability and ease of use, making it a popular choice for both beginners and advanced users.

QNAP, on the other hand, often offers more powerful hardware options and advanced features geared towards power users and businesses. Their QTS (QNAP Turbo NAS) operating system provides extensive customization options and flexibility, along with robust performance.

Given your emphasis on durability and reliability, either brand should serve you well if properly maintained. However, since you're not concerned about speed or noise, you might lean towards Synology for its user-friendly interface and solid software support.

For your specific requirements, I would recommend considering a Synology NAS with 4 bays, such as the DS423+ / ds923+