Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TVS-H674

Hi there

I moved form a Synology 10 year old NAS to this QNAP one a year ago. Steep learning curve but loving it so far. Question: QNAP customer service are a bit rubbish but essentially looking to change the sys fans and the cpu fan. sys fan can easily be changed to Noctua 92mm ones. However, I was wondering if I can change the CPU one to a 60mm Noctua as I have the i5 version, sunning full SSD's. Would it hamper performance/thermals? Basically looking for efficiency and noise reduction.

I look forward to hearing from you.
It's great to hear that you're enjoying your transition to the QNAP TVS-H674! Swapping out the system fans for Noctua 92mm ones sounds like a good plan for noise reduction. As for changing the CPU fan to a 60mm Noctua, it's essential to consider the potential impact on performance and thermals.

While a smaller fan may offer noise reduction benefits, it could affect the cooling efficiency, especially considering the i5 CPU and full SSD configuration in your NAS. This could potentially lead to higher temperatures, impacting performance or causing thermal throttling under heavy loads.

Before making any changes, I'd recommend checking the CPU temperatures under various workloads with the current fan setup to ensure they're within safe limits. If temperatures are already well within acceptable ranges, you may proceed with the fan swap cautiously. However, if temperatures are borderline or high, it's advisable to stick with the current fan or explore alternative cooling solutions that balance noise reduction with efficient cooling.