Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

storage for photos - ~5 TB

I am a freelance photographer. I have 5 external Hard drives of various sizes. I need to combine and clean up this mess and also provide a backup. I need to store, backup and retrieve photos.

My desktop computer is Windows 11, 64 Gb Ram, i9-1290, 2.4 GHz, 2 TB ssd drive, 1 TB scratch drive. I work on the present projects on the Desktop and then store them after I am done editing them.

Thanks for your help.
John
For consolidating your photography storage and ensuring reliable backups, the Synology DS723+ or DS923+ would be excellent choices, considering your budget and needs. Both models offer robust performance and ample storage capacity to accommodate your growing collection of photos.

The DS723+ features a powerful AMD Ryzen R1600 CPU and 2GB of DDR4 RAM, making it well-suited for handling your photo editing tasks and providing quick access to your files. With its two drive bays, you can start with the storage capacity you need now and easily expand it in the future by adding more drives.

On the other hand, if you foresee needing more storage space or advanced features down the line, the DS923+ might be the better option. It boasts similar performance to the DS723+ but comes with four drive bays, offering greater scalability and flexibility for accommodating larger photo libraries and implementing more robust backup solutions.

Pairing either NAS with high-quality HDDs like WD Red or Seagate IronWolf drives will ensure reliable storage and backup for your photos. With Synology's intuitive DSM operating system, you can easily set up automated backup tasks and access your files from anywhere.