Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS923+

Hope alls well
Been impressed with your videos recently learning about NAS. My DS923+ arrived today. It's going to be located in my office which is in another room to my wifi router. I'm going to need to connect it wirelessly. My question is - do I get around this with plugging a USB wifi dongle into it and connecting it that way? I'd appreciate any advise you can give me - even down to which dongle (if it is a dongle I need) ~I'd need. The use of the NAS is for photo storage, some photos being 200mb's plus, so the heavier end of image weight.
My thanks in advance and keep up the good work.
Best
Harry
Great to hear that your DS923+ has arrived! When it comes to connecting your NAS wirelessly, it's important to note that DSM 7, Synology's latest operating system, no longer supports USB Wi-Fi dongles. However, there's still a solution to achieve similar results using powerline adapters.

Powerline adapters allow you to extend your network connection through your home's electrical wiring, providing a stable and reliable connection for your NAS without the need for long Ethernet cables or wireless dongles. Simply plug one adapter into a power outlet near your router and connect it to your router via Ethernet cable. Then, plug the second adapter into a power outlet near your NAS and connect it to your NAS via another Ethernet cable. This setup effectively extends your network to your NAS through your home's electrical wiring, offering a seamless and robust connection.

Using powerline adapters ensures that your DS923+ receives a consistent and reliable network connection, ideal for handling large photo files and other data-intensive tasks. Plus, it eliminates the need for wireless connectivity, which can sometimes be prone to interference and signal degradation.