Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Replacement for WD My Cloud

I am a light user of WD My Cloud, which is now old and I'm looking to replace. I store tons of photos, tons of music, few videos, and many documents (docx/pdf/etc). I would like to be able to access all of that wherever I am-home/office/trip on my phone, laptop, PC, etc. I also once had a WD Live TV Hub which could slideshow my photos while playing folders/playlists of music from my music library-all stored on the WD Live TV Hub (including playlists & icons) and displayed/played on my TV.

I'd like to recreate that but cannot really do it with the MyCloud. I've been told Plex might be able to accomodate that, but with what hardware? Would Synology or Qnap work?

Thanks,
ned
Given your needs to replace your WD My Cloud and recreate the functionality you had with the WD Live TV Hub, both Synology and QNAP NAS systems could work well for you. Here's a breakdown:

Synology NAS: Synology offers user-friendly NAS solutions with robust software features. You can use Synology's DiskStation Manager (DSM) operating system to set up a media server, store your photos, music, videos, and documents, and access them from anywhere using Synology's mobile apps or web interface. Synology NAS devices support Plex Media Server, which can handle media playback, including slideshows for your photos and playlists for your music. Models like the DS224 or DS423 would suit your needs well.
QNAP NAS: QNAP also provides powerful NAS solutions with a wide range of features. Similar to Synology, QNAP NAS devices allow you to set up a media server using QNAP's operating system (QTS) and access your files remotely. QNAP NAS supports Plex Media Server as well, enabling you to organize and stream your media content. Models like the TS-253D or TS-453D would be suitable for your requirements.
Both Synology and QNAP NAS systems offer mobile apps for convenient remote access, and they support multimedia features like Plex for managing and streaming your media content. Consider factors such as ease of use, expandability, and specific software features when choosing between the two brands. With either option, you can recreate the functionality you enjoyed with your WD Live TV Hub while gaining additional features and flexibility.

https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/