Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

QNAP TVS-h1688X vs QNAP TL-D1600S via Minisforum MS-01

Wink 
10GbE NAS noob here Angel I'm looking to buy a system that will do double duty as a Proxmox homelab and a 4K Plex media server.

My initial thought was to use a Minisforum MS-01 with QNAP TL-D1600S. But the maximum theoretical speed would be 7.88 GB/s, and I expect the actual speed to be significantly less due to the TrueNAS SCALE software RAID on the MS-01.

The 2nd option I'm looking at is QNAP TVS-h1688X, which has a built in 10GbE NIC and NVMe cache. Its Xeon W-1250 CPU is not as powerful as the MS-01 i9-13900H, but it has potential for more RAM (and ECC RAM at that).

But since I have no experience with a 10GbE capable NAS, I'm not sure what actual throughput to expect. Do you think QNAP TVS-h1688X can deliver better read speeds than Minisforum MS-01 + QNAP TL-D1600S system?
Choosing between the Minisforum MS-01 with the QNAP TL-D1600S and the QNAP TVS-h1688X depends on your specific needs and priorities.

The Minisforum MS-01 with the QNAP TL-D1600S offers flexibility and potentially higher processing power with the i9-13900H CPU. However, as you mentioned, the actual speed may be limited due to software RAID and other factors.

On the other hand, the QNAP TVS-h1688X comes with built-in 10GbE NIC and NVMe cache, providing high-speed connectivity and potential for better performance. Additionally, its Xeon W-1250 CPU, although not as powerful as the i9-13900H, offers ECC RAM support and scalability for more memory.

In terms of actual throughput, the QNAP TVS-h1688X is likely to deliver better read speeds compared to the Minisforum MS-01 with the QNAP TL-D1600S, especially considering its optimized hardware configuration for network storage tasks.

https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/