Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SSD SATA drives furure

Hi!
I about to upgade to a newer NAS some time in the near furure and was considering all SSD based system. I was just wondering because NAS for me anyways is goint to used for severral years (my current Asustor NAS is 7 years old now) what is your take on SATA SSD drive future? Currently there is no spec wise a system that would satisfy me. Asustor flastorage is near ideal ideal (because of NVME and lots of drivebays) QNAP TBS-h574TX great cpu, but lack of drivebays.

Hardware wise (CPU, drivebays etc. because of transcoding) QNAP TVS-h874 would be perfect but, I am a bit wary on those SATA SSD and are they going to be hard to come by or be obsolete in the furure. Of course i know they are going to be obsolete somewhere in time, but timeline is a bit uncertain.

So basically is going down to SATA SSD route, in your oppinion, goin to a mistep in the long run?

Also thanks for you contet on youtube etc.!

And, sorry aboyt my english, is not my native language.

It's great to hear that you're considering upgrading to a newer NAS system! Regarding your question about SATA SSDs, while they currently offer excellent performance and reliability, it's essential to consider their future viability. SATA SSDs are widely used and supported in the industry, so they're unlikely to become obsolete in the near future. However, as technology advances, newer storage solutions like NVMe SSDs may become more prevalent, offering even higher speeds and capacities.

If you're concerned about future-proofing your NAS investment, it's worth considering NAS models that support both SATA and NVMe SSDs, such as the Asustor Flastorage series. This flexibility allows you to take advantage of the latest storage technologies while still supporting legacy SATA SSDs. Additionally, models like the QNAP TVS-h874, with its powerful CPU and ample drive bays, offer a compelling solution for your needs, despite using SATA SSDs.