Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

QNAP TS-251B

Hi,

I have a qnap running the latest QTS. I've upgraded to 8GB ram
Bay 1 : 3TB, bay 2 : 4TB. → RAID THICK volume (WD red drives)

I've recently setup Qumagie with AI core, but its so slow I'm aging as I wait for images to load. I found the UI to generally very slow and un responsive . Im runing 2x apps in the virtual stations and 3 containers. Im considering adding a PCIE expansion card to allow me to add an additional M.2 SSD slot and then a 500gb ssd where I want to load all my apps and run QTS. Will this solve my issue or am I better off upgrading my NAS to something newer that includes a PCIE or consider switching to Synology ? Adding a Expansion card and M.2 is going to be a $300 AUD exercise and Im not entire sure if it will provide me with the benefits I need to fully embrace moving off the cloud and running apps locally. Currently my QNAP is just too slow to do anything with it.

Thanks - greatly apprecaited
It seems like you're encountering performance bottlenecks with your QNAP TS-251B, especially when running applications like Qumagie. While adding an M.2 SSD via a PCIe expansion card could potentially improve responsiveness, it might not fully address the underlying issues. Upgrading to SSDs instead of HDDs, implementing NVMe caching, and increasing RAM could all contribute to better performance. However, considering the significant investment required for these upgrades and the uncertain outcomes, it might be more cost-effective and beneficial in the long run to consider upgrading to a newer QNAP model, preferably from the 64 series or higher. These newer models typically come with enhanced hardware capabilities and better performance, which could better meet your needs without the need for additional hardware upgrades.