Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS-DAS 8-Bay System

Hi there,

Finally got here through your awesome videos. Thanks so much for all the work you put out there in information. I am super confused after days and countless hours of research. I need a NAS-DAS 8 bay system. I originally thought the QNAP TS-873A-8G Business High End 8-Bay NAS Server was a good option but later realised that it cannot just be upgraded with a PCI E card to be Thunderboilt accessible as a DAS. Mostly my needs are for directly attached storage but occasionally sharing files over the network or the internet is needed too. Could you please advise on my options for the best and most affordable solutions out there? QNAP? Terra master? Others? Also a bit scared of all the ransomware stories out there but mostly plan to be disconnected from the web. Any help through this minefield would be super appreciated.

Cheers,

Pedro.
IS there a specific reason why DAS thunderbolt is needed?

TVS-8 series has optional thunderbolt, but its expensive. Remove that as a requirement, and the field opens up considerably.

In terms of being hacked, I've had QNAP 10 years and never once had an issue. If you want to be secure then it's simple, don't expose yourself to the internet without really knowing what you're doing (reverse proxy + authelia).

If you need files on the go, sync to OneDrive / DropBox / GDrive - its easy to do on the NAS. If you need movies, just put them on a USB stick.
Pedro, considering your requirements for a NAS-DAS solution with Thunderbolt accessibility, the QNAP TVS-h874 stands out as a top contender. This high-end 8-bay NAS server offers the flexibility you need, with support for RAID 5 or RAID 6 configurations to ensure both data protection and performance. The TVS-h874 comes equipped with Thunderbolt connectivity, allowing you to seamlessly switch between NAS and DAS functionality as needed, providing the versatility you're looking for. QNAP's reputation for reliability and robust features makes the TVS-h874 a solid choice for your home studio setup. As for security concerns, implementing best practices such as regular backups and keeping the firmware updated can help mitigate the risk of ransomware attacks. Hope this recommendation helps you find the perfect solution for your needs!