Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help with my first NAS

Want to replace google drive (with ability to have it download to all computers), google photos (with ability to see/delete duplicates and keep highest quality image), back up 5 computers, 6 smartphones, backup whatsapp, plex server. Based on my reading desire RAID 6 for protection. I think I prefer a pre-built system however I have some experience building computers and doing minimal coding tpye stuff but never worked with linux. Probably prefer a prebuilt (synology vs qnap vs ugreen or whatever you recommend) Like the windows/android apporach vs apple approach to software but since this will be brand new to me can go either way.
For your needs, I'd recommend considering the QNAP TVS-674 NAS. It offers a good balance of features and performance suitable for multimedia streaming, backups, and more. With its Intel Core i5 processor and 8GB of RAM, it can handle tasks like Plex streaming and backups efficiently. RAID 6 support ensures data protection, and you can easily expand storage as needed. QNAP's user-friendly interface makes it accessible even for beginners, and the QNAP mobile apps provide convenient remote access and management. While Synology also offers great options, the QNAP TVS-674 fits well within your budget and requirements. Consider adding Seagate IronWolf drives for reliable storage. If you're interested in building your own NAS, the Synology DS1621+ could be a good option, offering similar features and performance. Don't forget to check compatibility with your devices and apps. For technical support or troubleshooting, you can reach out to FC4 and DSMSystems. Good luck with your NAS setup! [You can explore more options using the NAS Finder tool: nascompares.com/nas-builder/]
(04-26-2024, 11:42 AM)ed Wrote: For your needs, I'd recommend considering the QNAP TVS-674 NAS. It offers a good balance of features and performance suitable for multimedia streaming, backups, and more. With its Intel Core i5 processor and 8GB of RAM, it can handle tasks like Plex streaming and backups efficiently. RAID 6 support ensures data protection, and you can easily expand storage as needed. QNAP's user-friendly interface makes it accessible even for beginners, and the QNAP mobile apps provide convenient remote access and management. While Synology also offers great options, the QNAP TVS-674 fits well within your budget and requirements. Consider adding Seagate IronWolf drives for reliable storage. If you're interested in building your own NAS, the Synology DS1621+ could be a good option, offering similar features and performance. Don't forget to check compatibility with your devices and apps. For technical support or troubleshooting, you can reach out to FC4 and DSMSystems. Good luck with your NAS setup! [You can explore more options using the NAS Finder tool: nascompares.com/nas-builder/]

Thank you so much. I have a few follow up questions and clarifications. Although I said that budget was not a thing (its not if its needed) I do want to try to keep the cost <1500 including the drives. I also dont plan on streaming much in 4k (>95% will be 1080p and mostly local some remote). Lastly I want to transition from samsung smartthings to home assistant with z-wave (so will probably need a z-wave dongle). Does that change your recommendations? 

I was thinking about Synology DiskStation DS423+ and using SHR. Would that also work?
amazon.com/gp/product/B0C5VC9JGV/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=A1PUHO6D4MM5FC&psc=1
Synology DiskStation DS423+ NAS Server with Celeron 2.0GHz CPU, 6GB Memory, 16TB HDD Storage, 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GbE LAN Ports, DSM Operating System

or 
QNAP TS-464-8G-US 4 Bay High-Performance Desktop NAS with Intel Celeron Quad-core Processor, M.2 PCIe Slots and Dual 2.5GbE (maybe even preconfigured RAID 5?)
amazon.com/dp/B0CZ7P88Y9

other options i came across are
QNAP TS-410E-8G (but i think that uses SSD's and is a little weaker)
QNAP TS-453E-8G-US (but i think the TS-464 is better)
QNAP TVS-h474-PT-8G-US (probably the best of these options but also most expensive)