Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Please help me out i NEED HELP WITH DECIDING MY UGREEN NAS

So as you know about the UGREEN NAS line up, i like the features of NXP6800 and NXP8800, but i am going to use this for my home, and for family storage and everyones device (15 devices in total including phones and laptops) back up as well and also as extended storage on network. also i do photography and i shoot RAW. So i want to know if i should go for 8 or 6 Bay as 8 i feel is too big. and if which raid and storage capacity (HDD) i should go for. Please Help me out!!!!
Given your requirements and preferences, the UGREEN NXP6800 seems like a suitable option for your home network storage needs. Here's a breakdown of considerations to help you decide:

Number of Bays: Since you feel that 8 bays might be too large for your needs, the 6-bay NXP6800 would likely suffice. It provides ample storage capacity while being more compact than the 8-bay model.
RAID Configuration: Considering that you'll be using the NAS for family storage, device backups, and storing RAW photography files, a RAID configuration that balances data protection, capacity, and performance would be ideal. RAID 5 or RAID 6 would offer a good balance of performance and redundancy for your setup. RAID 5 provides good capacity utilization and fault tolerance, while RAID 6 offers an additional layer of redundancy at the cost of some capacity.
Storage Capacity (HDD): With a total storage requirement of 25TB and considering RAID redundancy, you'll need to factor in additional capacity for parity data. For example, with RAID 5, you'll lose the capacity of one drive for parity, so you'd need at least 30TB of raw storage capacity. Therefore, you might consider starting with 6x 6TB or 8TB drives, depending on your budget and future expansion plans.
By opting for the NXP6800 with a suitable RAID configuration and storage capacity, you'll have a robust and scalable solution for your home storage and backup needs.
(04-19-2024, 12:42 PM)ed Wrote: Thank you so much for your reply,

Apologies disturbing you again, I actually like the 8 Bay NAS, I only find that it's too big (I just watched your review on it, would be lovely if you shared the dimensions on the review on your website), but since you must have experienced it in real life, could you tell if there is really a massive difference between a 6 & 8 Bay NAS? If it's almost the same, I would rather go for 8 Bay just to future proof myself. Please let me know if this is right.

if i do go with 8 Bay what should i configure it as Raid 5. or 6 and what capacity.
Also another question,
So UGREEN advertised Intel i7 in the video they uploaded in but in the spec sheet it is i5. ( link of their video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNbcUHnNekA&ab_channel=UgreenOfficial 

Given your requirements and preferences, the UGREEN NXP6800 seems like a suitable option for your home network storage needs. Here's a breakdown of considerations to help you decide:
Number of Bays: Since you feel that 8 bays might be too large for your needs, the 6-bay NXP6800 would likely suffice. It provides ample storage capacity while being more compact than the 8-bay model.
RAID Configuration: Considering that you'll be using the NAS for family storage, device backups, and storing RAW photography files, a RAID configuration that balances data protection, capacity, and performance would be ideal. RAID 5 or RAID 6 would offer a good balance of performance and redundancy for your setup. RAID 5 provides good capacity utilization and fault tolerance, while RAID 6 offers an additional layer of redundancy at the cost of some capacity.
Storage Capacity (HDD): With a total storage requirement of 25TB and considering RAID redundancy, you'll need to factor in additional capacity for parity data. For example, with RAID 5, you'll lose the capacity of one drive for parity, so you'd need at least 30TB of raw storage capacity. Therefore, you might consider starting with 6x 6TB or 8TB drives, depending on your budget and future expansion plans.
By opting for the NXP6800 with a suitable RAID configuration and storage capacity, you'll have a robust and scalable solution for your home storage and backup needs.