Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

QuTS tiered

Hi. I am about to setup my qnap ts-855x and I see QNAP are saying this for their ZFS system.. does it really work like tiered storage?

« Tiered storage configuration for a QuTS hero NAS
Basic requirements for setup are similar to QTS. We recommend you to follow these steps to acquire optimal storage efficiency and performance for QuTS hero.
Step 1: System Drive & Default Shared Folders
The first St… « 

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/operating-system/quts-hero/5.1.0
It's great that you're looking into maximizing the efficiency and performance of your QNAP TS-855X NAS. The tiered storage configuration you mentioned for QuTS hero does indeed function similarly to tiered storage systems.

With tiered storage, data is automatically moved between different types of storage media based on factors like access frequency and data importance. In the case of QuTS hero, this functionality optimizes storage efficiency and performance by intelligently managing data placement across different tiers of storage, such as SSDs for high-speed access and HDDs for larger capacity.

Following the steps outlined by QNAP in their documentation will help you set up tiered storage effectively, ensuring that your NAS operates at its best in terms of both performance and storage utilization.
Thanks for the help. Diving into the details. I have 2 NVMEs (2x4TB), 1 SATA SSD and 3 x 16 TB HDDs. 
I was thinking of using the 2 NVMEs for the system pool, the sata SSD for the Cache and then the HDDs for data storage. Is that a good way to use my drives or what would you recommend? E.g. Is 8TB NVME too much for a system drive?
  • Step 1: System Drive & Default Shared FoldersThe first Storage Pool you create is where the system drive, default shared folders, and apps are stored. In this step, it is recommended to create an SSD RAID with at least two SSDs to attain optimal system performance and efficient app metadata management. (With an all-HDD configuration, the first Storage Pool is also where the system drive and default shared folders are stored.)
  • Step 2: Read Cache & ZILUse more SSDs for read cache or ZIL. You can also install add M.2 SSDs for expanding cache space.
  • Step 3: Data StorageAllocate HDDs/SSDs to create a RAID for storing files and application data. If needed, you can configure an all-flash configuration for optimal performance.