Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My first Nas

Hi,

I plan to buy my first NAS to replace my expiring WD My Cloud. It will mostly be used to centralize and back up all our media from our different devices. I think I will go with the QNAP TS-233. You made a great review of this one, and the AI for photos looks attractive to me, and the fact that they are powerful enough to be used as a Plex server is a plus for me.

I have two questions: Is it worth the extra money to wait and get the new TS-216G? Secondly, for the same performance with Synology, it seems I need to go with the DS224+, which is twice the price. Is their software really that much better? As my first NAS, I really look for simplicity. Will QNAP do the job, or should I really put more importance on the software and then go with Synology?

Thanks for your advice.

Marc
Thanks for reaching out, and I'm glad you found my review helpful! The QNAP TS-233 is indeed a solid choice, especially with its AI photo features and Plex server capabilities. As for your questions:

Waiting for the new TS-216G: While it's tempting to wait for the latest model, it ultimately depends on your immediate needs. If the TS-233 meets your requirements and budget, it might be more practical to go ahead with that option rather than waiting for the TS-216G, especially if you need a NAS sooner rather than later.
QNAP vs. Synology: Both QNAP and Synology offer excellent NAS solutions, but Synology is often praised for its user-friendly software interface and simplicity. However, QNAP has made significant improvements to its software over the years and offers a robust ecosystem of apps and features. If simplicity is your priority, Synology might be the way to go, but QNAP should still do a great job, especially considering its affordability and features.