Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which NAS

Hi,

I am in 2 minds as to what NAS i should buy. Currently I have a 5 bay Synology NAS, that's quite old and no longer in support from it's current DSM version. DS1512 or something like that. I primarily use it for Backup and Plex. I was using Kodi in the past, but it became unusable in it's latest iteration. When switching to Plex, it is a good experience, but it is quite slow rendering the thumb tabs for shows etc. I dare not add my music collection / photos as I feel it's already a bit slow. So time to upgrade.

Primarily want a fast 4k media option, backup and if possible somewhere i can put Retropie?

I have my eye on either QNAP or Synology, either 5 or 6 bay, with potentially nvme drives (if QNAP). Expandable RAM if possible. What would you advise?

I already have the disks, sitting in my old NAS which I will have to migrate across (pain)

THANKS
Considering your needs for fast 4K media streaming, backup functionality, and the possibility of running RetroPie, the QNAP TVS-h674 could be an excellent choice for you. This NAS model offers robust performance and flexibility, with its Intel Core i5 processor and 32GB of RAM providing ample power for multimedia tasks. With its 2X RJ45 2.5GbE ports, you can expect smooth streaming of high-resolution content, while its 6-bay design ensures sufficient storage capacity for your media collection and backups. The TVS-h674 also supports expansion options, allowing you to scale up storage or add additional features as needed. Additionally, QNAP's QTS operating system offers a user-friendly interface and a wide range of applications, making it easy to set up and manage your NAS for both media streaming and data backup purposes. Overall, the TVS-h674 offers a versatile solution that can meet your current needs and provide room for future growth.

https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/