Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology connected via VPN

Hi,
I have a Synology DS920+ where it's routing all the network via Nord VPN in the network settings on the Synology NAS itself. This works as intended when I login to the NAS as an admin user. I want to have another user (without admin privileges) to download things to the NAS via Download station. When I get that user to add things to the Download station, my iOS download station client (DSLoad Station) is not detecting VPN as active. VPN is detected fine if I use the same iOS client DSLoad Station with my admin profile.
Do Synology NAS devices have VPN setup per user profile? Is this the reason my non admin account Is not able to use VPN? Or does Synology still route all the traffic via VPN and my non admin user client simply does not have privileges to see that it is behind a VPN?
I could not find any article advising if VPN is only enabled for admin users/all users/enabled and needs configuring for each individual user. Thank you, I hope this makes sense.

Kind regards,
Mario
User-Specific VPN Configuration: Synology NAS devices typically route all network traffic through the VPN connection configured at the system level. This means that all users accessing the NAS, regardless of their privileges, will have their traffic routed through the VPN when accessing services hosted on the NAS, such as Download Station.
User Privileges and VPN Detection: The issue you're encountering with your non-admin user's iOS Download Station client not detecting the VPN connection might be related to the client app itself rather than the VPN configuration on the NAS. The VPN connection is established at the network level, and users accessing services on the NAS should be able to benefit from it regardless of their privileges.
Configuration Verification: I recommend double-checking the VPN configuration on your Synology NAS to ensure that it's set up correctly and that the VPN connection is active when your non-admin user attempts to use Download Station. Additionally, consider checking the settings within the DSLoad Station app to see if there are any options related to VPN detection or configuration.
Further Assistance: If you continue to experience issues, it might be helpful to consult the documentation or support resources provided by Synology for guidance on VPN configuration and user privileges.