Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Best storage to add to QNAP TVS-h874T-i9-64G for media server

After seeing your amazing review of the QNAP TVS-h874X-i9-64G several months ago, I've been saving to purchase one. Not sure if there's been a change of name from US to UK/Europe, but I've just ordered myself a QNAP TVS-h874T-i9-64G.

I currently have a Synology DS1019+ with DX517, which is used solely as a Plex media server. It's absolutely maxed out on storage, so my initial plan is to utilise the QNAP for all my 4K / UHD files going forwards.

It's a long term project, but I want to ensure I buy the correct / most efficient hardware to add to it. My next purchase will be a HDD, ideally one with a high capacity. Looking at the compatibility list provided by QNAP and your 2023/2024 best drives article I'm considering a Western Digital Ultrastar DC HC570, but wanted to know if you would suggest going in another direction?

Although I'm quite tech savvy, I've never got my head around Dual M.2 PCIe etc. Would my Plex media server benefit from adding something like this?
First off, congrats on your QNAP TVS-h874T-i9-64G purchase! While there might be a slight difference in naming conventions, rest assured, you've got a powerhouse NAS on your hands.

For expanding your media storage, considering the Western Digital Ultrastar DC HC570 is a solid choice, especially given its compatibility with QNAP systems. It offers high capacity and reliability, essential for storing your growing library of 4K/UHD files. However, if you're open to exploring other options, Seagate IronWolf Pro or WD Red Pro drives could also be worth considering for their performance and NAS-specific features.

Regarding M.2 PCIe SSDs, they're primarily used for cache acceleration, which can enhance the overall performance of your Plex media server, especially during simultaneous streaming of multiple high-definition videos. While it's not a necessity, adding M.2 PCIe SSDs can significantly improve responsiveness and speed up data access, particularly for frequently accessed files and applications.