Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Utilzing Two NAS boxes

Hi Guys,

I have not had a NAS for several years and now am in the need to set one up. I am very interested in the Ugreen 4 bay pro unit. I plan to have one at home and one at my studio (music and photo). I plan on backing up the home files onsite and then onto the NAS at my studio. Similarly, I want to back up the studio data onsite and then to the home NAS. Does this sound like a good (3,,2,1) backup strategy? Secondly, should I move up to 6 bay units to run RAID 6?
Setting up two NAS units, one at home and one at your studio, for backing up data sounds like a solid backup strategy, particularly for a home and small business setup. This approach aligns well with the 3-2-1 backup rule, which recommends having three copies of your data, stored on two different media types, with one copy stored offsite.

Here's how your proposed setup fits into the 3-2-1 backup strategy:

Onsite Backup: You'll have one NAS unit at home and one at your studio, providing redundancy and quick access to your data in case of hardware failures or accidental deletions. This ensures that you always have a local copy of your files readily available.

Offsite Backup: By backing up the data from each location to the NAS unit at the other location, you create an offsite backup. This protects your data in case of localized disasters, such as fire, theft, or natural disasters, that could affect both your home and studio simultaneously.

Regarding your question about upgrading to 6-bay units and running RAID 6:

6-Bay Units and RAID 6: Moving up to 6-bay NAS units and using RAID 6 can provide additional fault tolerance and data protection. RAID 6 offers protection against the simultaneous failure of up to two drives, which can be beneficial in environments where data integrity and uptime are critical.
Considering your budget and the need for 30TB of usable storage, investing in 6-bay NAS units with RAID 6 could offer enhanced data protection and scalability for future storage expansion.

However, it's essential to weigh the cost of upgrading against your specific needs and budget constraints. If your current setup meets your storage requirements and budget, sticking with 4-bay units may still provide adequate protection for your data.