Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS CPU

I no longer use my PC and I am contemplating building a NAS using Sata SSD drives.

In my pc that I no longer use I have a AMD Ryzen 7 3700X and was wondering if it is worth repurposing the CPU or selling it to buy a different one?

I will be using it for Media back up , phone, laptop etc. But I also want to be able to store 4k movies on it and stream it to my TV using Jellyfin/Plex.

Cheers
Considering your use case for media backup, streaming, and storing 4K movies using Jellyfin/Plex, repurposing your AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU for a NAS build could be a viable option. Here are some points to consider:

CPU Performance: The Ryzen 7 3700X is a powerful CPU with eight cores and sixteen threads, making it well-suited for multitasking and media processing tasks. It should be capable of handling media backup, streaming, and transcoding duties for Jellyfin/Plex.

Transcoding Capability: While the Ryzen 7 3700X doesn't have a dedicated transcoding GPU chip, its CPU can handle transcoding tasks reasonably well. However, if you anticipate heavy transcoding loads or simultaneous 4K transcoding streams, you may want to consider additional transcoding resources, such as a GPU or a CPU with integrated graphics.

Storage Expansion: Since you plan to use SATA SSD drives for your NAS, the Ryzen 7 3700X's PCIe lanes can accommodate multiple SATA SSDs without bottlenecking storage performance.

Testing and Optimization: Before committing to your NAS build, it's essential to test the Ryzen 7 3700X's performance with your specific workload. This will help ensure that it meets your performance expectations and can handle the demands of media streaming and transcoding.

Overall, repurposing the Ryzen 7 3700X for your NAS build seems like a practical choice, especially considering its powerful multicore performance. Just be sure to monitor its performance during testing and consider additional transcoding resources if necessary.