Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NVMe SSD's for synology ds1621+

Hi Guys, I bought a synology da1621+ for work, it was a bit of a rush purchase with a bit of research but considering this is our starting point I felt it was a solid purchase. The only thing that I'm not sure what to go for is or understand fully is the SSD/HDD setup. I would like quick access to the NAS as we store case details that can stem back long periods time with up to 20 members of staff needing to access.
Hello there,

Congratulations on your purchase of the Synology DS1621+! It's a powerful NAS that should serve your work needs well. Let's delve into your SSD/HDD setup concerns:

Given your requirement for quick access to the NAS and the need for multiple staff members to access case details, incorporating SSDs into your setup for caching and/or primary storage can significantly enhance performance and responsiveness.

Here are a few options to consider:

SSD Cache: You can use SSDs as cache drives to accelerate read and write operations, improving overall system performance. The DS1621+ supports SSD caching, which can be configured to use one or more SSDs for caching purposes. This can reduce access times for frequently accessed data, making operations smoother for your staff.

SSD Tiering: Another option is to create SSD read/write tiers alongside your HDD storage. This setup involves designating specific SSDs for primary storage, where frequently accessed data resides, while using HDDs for bulk storage. Synology's Storage Manager allows for the creation of storage pools with SSD read/write cache, providing both speed and capacity.

All-SSD Configuration: Depending on your budget and performance requirements, you might consider an all-SSD configuration. This would ensure consistent high-speed access to data but may come at a higher cost per terabyte compared to HDDs.

Given your work environment's requirements, I'd recommend considering a combination of SSD caching and HDD storage. This allows you to balance performance and cost-effectiveness. You can start with SSD caching and monitor performance to see if additional SSDs or a shift to all-SSD storage is necessary in the future.

When selecting SSDs, prioritize reliability, endurance, and performance. Look for models with high endurance ratings (measured in DWPD - Drive Writes Per Day) and good reviews for reliability.