Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NVME SDD's for NAS Synology DS 920+

Currently I got 2 exos enterprise HDD's but want to boost performance of my IOS with accessability. The whole website weight around 0,5 GB, so 512 GB space should give enough boost for few years of operations.

I'm looking into the upgrading my NAS with cache, where I would push website database and files for faster caching.

As wrote in another article on this website this NAS supports" PCIe Gen 3 x4 M.2 SSDs or caching (...) NAS would result in these SSDs being throttled to PCIe 2X2, 2X4 or 3×1, but these would still allow around 1000-200MB/s of throughput on these bays and that would have been hugely beneficial to VM, Docker and Database users.". I see no point in upgrading the SDD's with the newest PCI-E SDD's, supporting nvme 2.0 and PCI-E 4.0 if my NAS won't utilise this bandwith.

Likely what my Synology DS 920+ can utilise, is 7 times smaller then Samsung 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 NVMe 990 PRO or ADATA XPG Gammix S70 Blade 1TB SSD.

Let me know whether my considerations are valid.
Thanks for reaching out about upgrading your NAS setup for website and database caching. Considering your requirements and the compatibility of your Synology DS920+ with PCIe Gen 3 x4 M.2 SSDs, it's crucial to prioritize value for money while ensuring optimal performance.

Your considerations are indeed valid. Since your NAS may not fully utilize the bandwidth offered by the latest PCIe Gen 4 NVMe SSDs, investing in them might not provide significant benefits in terms of performance for your specific setup. Instead, focusing on SSDs that match your NAS's capabilities while offering reliability and cost-effectiveness would be a wise choice.

Based on your needs and budget, opting for SSDs with capacities of 512GB or 1TB would provide sufficient space for caching website data and databases, ensuring smooth accessibility and faster loading times. Considering the read and write operations involved in caching, it's essential to select SSDs with adequate endurance ratings (DWPD) to handle these tasks efficiently over the long term.

You can explore options like the Seagate FireCuda 510, Seagate IronWolf 525, Synology SNV3400, or WD Red SN700, which offer a balance of performance, reliability, and value for money. These SSDs are compatible with your NAS and provide suitable performance for caching operations, enhancing the responsiveness and efficiency of your website and database access.