Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3rd party OS on Drobo 5N

Question 
Hi,

After watching the latest NAS compares video on the ugreen nas, I was wondering if it was possible to install something on my two Drobo 5Ns that would resurrect them?

They are both 5 bay and have internal battery backups so it would be a shame to send them to ewaste.

Thanks,
Sam
While it's understandable that you want to explore options to revive your Drobo 5Ns, unfortunately, these devices are designed to run their proprietary operating system, and installing third-party software or firmware on them is not supported. Drobo NAS devices have a closed system architecture, limiting the ability to modify or install alternative operating systems.

Considering their internal battery backups and hardware specifications, it's indeed a pity to consider sending them to e-waste. However, without official support for third-party OS installation, there are limited options for repurposing these devices beyond their intended use.

If you're determined to extend the functionality of your NAS devices, you might consider alternative solutions such as repurposing them for simpler tasks like file storage or backup within their current capabilities.
Sorry for my late response, I didn't realise you replied.

Thank you for replying. I be happy to use them as they are, unfortunately I longer use Windows, I have switched to Linux. It is my understanding that Drobo Dashboard is limited to just Windows and Mac and they cannot be used without the software.

Is there a way to use them with Linux or should I consider using a Windows VM?

Thanks.