Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Would love some help.

Hi there mate, been a minute since I've been watching your vids.

So I'm a photographer / videographer looking to store my data on hard drives as I'm tired of piling them up. I bought a jonsbo N3 and I have 2 drives. As mentioned above. the Exos enterprise 18tb I have someone who knows about this and he's lending me a hand but he doesn't have time to explain so I'm a bit stuck & I'd like to have an overall understanding. I'd like to scale up over time and run unraid which allows me to scale up over time I think?

I'm pretty crap at this as you can prob tell. I was looking at the i3 N305. What's my best bet? I would love to be able to edit from the nas once I have all 8 drives, if that's even worth it? or just stick with an ssd to edit? Also can always make updates in the future if I wanted to I presume? Anyway, apart from that, I think that's it. I still have to read about a lot of confusing things I don't really understand hence me writing to you.

Thanks again.

Regards

Charlie

Great to hear from you again! It sounds like you're diving into the world of NAS storage, and I'm here to help you navigate through it.

Starting with the Jonsbo N3 case and two 18TB Exos Enterprise Seagate drives is a solid foundation. Since you're aiming to scale up over time and run Unraid, the i3 N305 seems like a good fit. Its performance and expandability will accommodate your growing storage needs.

Regarding editing directly from the NAS once you have all eight drives, it's feasible but might not offer the same speed as editing from an SSD. However, with enough RAM and a capable CPU like the i3 N305, you could set up a cache system to improve performance.

As for updates in the future, absolutely! NAS systems are highly customizable, allowing you to upgrade components like RAM, drives, or even the CPU to meet your evolving requirements.