Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hyper Backup Cloud Restore

Hi Robbie,

I have put myself in a pickle; I previously had a DS920+ and performed a Hyper Backup of an important folder about 1.2TB in size to iDrive e2 cloud storage.

Fast forward, I have now replaced the DS920+ with a TS-264 (didn't need or used the extra 2 bays on the 920+) as I wanted a newer gen CPU for Plex N5105 vs J4125 totally forgetting about the iDrive e2 backup

Now that I need access to that folder, I downloaded all 1.2TB of the backup via my Qnap Active Sync and thought I could use Hyper Backup Explorer to extract it...but alas, I discovered it does not have the required .bkpi file that Hyper Backup explorer requires and the backup is in a proprietary format (chunks and pools).

This brings me to my actual question; no doubt I need to purchase a Synology NAS to restore this backup on iDrive e2. What I am unsure about is:

Which is the cheapest new or used Synology NAS that runs DSM 7.2 that supports BTRFS and Hyper Backup (probably an easy question)

Thanks in advance
Thanks for reaching out about your Hyper Backup restore situation. It sounds like you weren't expecting to need the old backup!

Here's the good news: You're right, you'll likely need a Synology NAS to restore the Hyper Backup from iDrive e2 since the format isn't compatible with your current QNAP setup.

Finding the right NAS for your budget:

Based on your budget of around AUD$300 and the need for DSM 7.2, BTRFS support, and Hyper Backup, the Synology DS223j seems like a strong option. It's one of the most affordable models that meets your requirements, and according to https://nascompares.com/answer/synology-...622-ds723/, it's estimated to be around AUD$186.