Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

HP EliteDesk 800 G2

I have an HP EliteDesk 800 G2, and I would ideally want to use this in a NAS case, is this even possible? If so what would you recommend?
Converting an HP EliteDesk 800 G2 into a NAS (Network Attached Storage) system is indeed possible, although it may require some modifications and additional hardware depending on your specific requirements and preferences. Here are some steps and considerations to guide you:

Assess Compatibility: Ensure that the HP EliteDesk 800 G2 has the necessary hardware specifications to serve as the foundation for a NAS system. Check factors such as available drive bays, expansion slots, and compatibility with NAS operating systems.

Select a NAS Case: Choose a compatible NAS case that can accommodate the HP EliteDesk 800 G2 motherboard and components while providing adequate space for storage drives, cooling, and expansion. Look for cases with sufficient drive bays, good airflow, and room for potential future upgrades.

Transfer Components: Carefully disassemble the HP EliteDesk 800 G2 and transfer its components, including the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and any expansion cards, into the chosen NAS case. Ensure that all components fit properly and are securely mounted.

Add Storage Drives: Install storage drives (HDDs or SSDs) into the NAS case's drive bays. Consider the RAID configuration you want to implement for data redundancy and performance.

Install Operating System: Choose a suitable NAS operating system such as FreeNAS, OpenMediaVault, or TrueNAS CORE, and install it on the system's storage drives. Follow the installation instructions provided by the chosen OS to set up the NAS functionality.

Configure Network Connectivity: Connect the NAS system to your network using Ethernet cables to enable access to stored data from other devices on the network. Configure network settings as needed to ensure seamless communication.

Test and Optimize: Power on the NAS system and ensure that it boots up properly. Test its functionality, including data storage, file sharing, and network access. Optimize system settings and configurations based on your requirements and performance preferences.

Monitor and Maintain: Regularly monitor the NAS system for performance, storage capacity, and any potential issues. Perform routine maintenance tasks such as software updates, backups, and drive health checks to keep the system running smoothly.
Thanks Ed, 

The info you gave helped a lot. I was thinking of putting it in a Jonsbo N2, everything would fit. 
My concern is power. I don't know how to get the 800 G2 board to supply power to all the drives as it uses a power brick instead of a designated PSU. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)