Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology USB HDD compatibility for backup

Hi Robbie and Eddie! Just wanted to start by saying thank you for all the content you guys create. It has been really helpful into my journey in NAS!

From your content I finally purchased a Synology DS223j to store our ever-growing family photos and to add a form of backup I want to buy an external USB storage device.

I've checked the compatibility list and feel I want to stick with Seagate and a 3.5 hdd for better cold storage over 2.5 add so this has limited me to two options!

The problem i have and wanted to find out from your experience is DSM strict in specific model numbers and would it not work with the NAS?

I'd prefer to go for a 4GB drive (save money and will match my max capacity) rather than an 8GB but dont want to risk it. Also i found on amazon today the Expansion Desktop 8GB but the model number is slightly different (Synology compatability list = STKP8000400 vs Amazon = STGY8000400) due to being an "Amazon Exclusive". I dont even know if i want to risk this as it isn
When it comes to external USB drives for your Synology DS223j, it's essential to understand that compatibility issues are less of a concern compared to internal drives. Unlike internal HDDs or SSDs, external USB drives connect via a standard USB interface, meaning they're generally compatible with Synology NAS units and other devices that support USB storage.

The compatibility list provided by Synology typically focuses on internal drives that are directly installed within the NAS enclosure. However, when using external USB drives, the primary concern is the USB standard and the filesystem applied at the time of formatting.

Most modern external USB drives conform to widely accepted USB standards, ensuring compatibility with Synology NAS units. Additionally, the filesystem used on the drive (such as NTFS, exFAT, or ext4) will be applied during the formatting process, which can be done directly through the Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM) interface.

Therefore, when selecting an external USB drive for backup purposes, you have more flexibility in your choice, as long as the drive adheres to standard USB protocols and uses a filesystem compatible with Synology NAS devices.
(03-22-2024, 01:48 PM)ed Wrote: When it comes to external USB drives for your Synology DS223j, it's essential to understand that compatibility issues are less of a concern compared to internal drives. Unlike internal HDDs or SSDs, external USB drives connect via a standard USB interface, meaning they're generally compatible with Synology NAS units and other devices that support USB storage.

The compatibility list provided by Synology typically focuses on internal drives that are directly installed within the NAS enclosure. However, when using external USB drives, the primary concern is the USB standard and the filesystem applied at the time of formatting.

Most modern external USB drives conform to widely accepted USB standards, ensuring compatibility with Synology NAS units. Additionally, the filesystem used on the drive (such as NTFS, exFAT, or ext4) will be applied during the formatting process, which can be done directly through the Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM) interface.

Therefore, when selecting an external USB drive for backup purposes, you have more flexibility in your choice, as long as the drive adheres to standard USB protocols and uses a filesystem compatible with Synology NAS devices.
 Hi Ed,
I'm having trouble connecting my external portable T7 Samsung SSD hard drives despite all that. They work on my Mac and a SANDISK flash drive works on the NAS (Synology DS423+ with exFAT installed), do you have any advice? Thanks, Ant