Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Home NAS please help.

Nas for home plex, cloud storage and possible upgradable RAM.

Looking to do some 4k H.264 files and if I use only licenced players in home then maybe H.265. All mkv or MP4

I do a bit of youtube as a hobby, I need cloud storage

But Plex and cloud can be a first and I may get a second NAS just for my photo and video editing later.

Im a little unsure if I need transcoding ability or not, ill try not to use it if my statement above I can acheive.

But I have a 2 bay DS213+ which is very old and only suports syno 6.2

I did look at 923+ 1522 Qnap and others but I really like the synology.

But what would you suggest please

KR Simon
For your home NAS needs encompassing Plex, cloud storage, and potential RAM upgrades, considering your preference for Synology NAS, I'd recommend the DS423+ or DS224+. The DS423+ offers robust performance with its quad-core Intel Celeron J4125 processor, making it capable of handling multimedia tasks like Plex streaming and cloud storage efficiently. With its four drive bays, you'll have sufficient storage capacity for your media files and backups. Additionally, the DS423+ supports RAM upgrades, allowing you to enhance its performance over time if needed. On the other hand, if you prioritize compactness and affordability without compromising too much on performance, the DS224+ with its quad-core Intel Celeron J4125 processor and two drive bays could be a suitable option. It's a versatile NAS that can cater to your multimedia and cloud storage requirements effectively within your budget. Regarding your concern about transcoding, both the DS423+ and DS224+ offer hardware transcoding capabilities, ensuring smooth media playback across different devices. While transcoding might not be necessary for your specific usage scenario, having this capability can be advantageous for future-proofing your setup and ensuring compatibility with various playback devices. Lastly, for your cloud storage needs, Synology NAS devices seamlessly integrate with popular cloud services, providing convenient access to your files from anywhere. Considering your budget and requirements, both the DS423+ and DS224+ offer excellent value and versatility for your home NAS setup.
(03-22-2024, 01:35 PM)ed Wrote: For your home NAS needs encompassing Plex, cloud storage, and potential RAM upgrades, considering your preference for Synology NAS, I'd recommend the DS423+ or DS224+. The DS423+ offers robust performance with its quad-core Intel Celeron J4125 processor, making it capable of handling multimedia tasks like Plex streaming and cloud storage efficiently. With its four drive bays, you'll have sufficient storage capacity for your media files and backups. Additionally, the DS423+ supports RAM upgrades, allowing you to enhance its performance over time if needed. On the other hand, if you prioritize compactness and affordability without compromising too much on performance, the DS224+ with its quad-core Intel Celeron J4125 processor and two drive bays could be a suitable option. It's a versatile NAS that can cater to your multimedia and cloud storage requirements effectively within your budget. Regarding your concern about transcoding, both the DS423+ and DS224+ offer hardware transcoding capabilities, ensuring smooth media playback across different devices. While transcoding might not be necessary for your specific usage scenario, having this capability can be advantageous for future-proofing your setup and ensuring compatibility with various playback devices. Lastly, for your cloud storage needs, Synology NAS devices seamlessly integrate with popular cloud services, providing convenient access to your files from anywhere. Considering your budget and requirements, both the DS423+ and DS224+ offer excellent value and versatility for your home NAS setup.

Hey guys sorry the late reply!
Ive been waiting to buy but the thought
"What if i moved away from Synology"
Would this be a smarter move for a better NAS?

If so what would you recomend and is it worth waiting on new release of NAS?

KR Simon