Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

QNAP to Synology Upgrade

I'm upgrading my QNAP TS-469PRO due to 1) it is no longer supported by QNAP, 2) security issues with QNAP, and 3) the desire for a more user-friendly OS. I have decided the Synology DS1522+ may be the optimal solution with my use case (backups of Macbook Pro and Dell laptops-my spouse is a Realtor and operates her business from home & I'm retired, but lots of photo and video editing). I'm considering is a DS1522+ with 32GB RAM, Synology 10GbE Network Module, and 5 x Seagate Exos X16 ST16000NM003G 16TB SED HDD. The Seagate drives are not on the Synology compatibility list, but have seen enough videos to know this probably isn't an issue. I'll defer purchase of NVMe at this point.

Questions:
1) do you see any issues with the choices I've made, especially the inclusion of SED drives?
2) do you agree with my deferral of NVMe?
3) given that the DS1522+ is a 2022 model, what is the estimated support window for this model?
4) any other advice or considerations?

Thanks for your input.
Thank you for reaching out, and I appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your NAS upgrade considerations. Let's address your questions and provide some insights into your proposed setup:

Inclusion of SED Drives:

While the Seagate Exos X16 ST16000NM003G drives are not officially listed on Synology's compatibility list, many users have reported successful usage with various drives not explicitly listed.
However, it's essential to note that Synology may not provide support or warranty coverage for drives not on their compatibility list. Additionally, SED drives may offer added security features but are generally not necessary for standard home or small business NAS setups.
Deferral of NVMe:

Deferring the purchase of NVMe SSDs is reasonable, especially if your primary use case involves backups and storage rather than high-performance caching or tiered storage.
You can always add NVMe SSDs later if you find the need for increased performance or additional cache capacity.
Support Window for DS1522+:

Synology typically provides software updates and support for their NAS models for around 10 years after release, ensuring long-term usability and security updates.
Since the DS1522+ was released in 2022, you can expect firmware updates and support until at least 2032, if not longer, ensuring a reliable and supported platform for years to come.
Additional Advice:

Ensure proper data backup strategies, including offsite backups or cloud backups, to safeguard your important data against hardware failures, disasters, or other unforeseen events.
Consider investing in a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) to protect your NAS and data against power surges, outages, and voltage fluctuations.
Explore the wide range of applications and features offered by Synology DSM (DiskStation Manager) to optimize your NAS usage for both home and small business needs.