Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS, audio, video (movies for home theater), CCTV (monitoring around house), Virtual Machine,

Hi,
I'm looking to get my first NAS. I need to store our movie library which has been spread on a several HDD up to 2tb. We have lots of family pictures on a HDD and our phones (iOS and Android) we'd like to back up some where.
I'd like to use cameras CCTV or something around our house.
I'm interested in web development, and need to use virtual machines.
My primary interest in Synology ds1621+ with 2x22tb at the start, then M.2s and RAM upgrade.
Or Ugreen 8bays with 40% off and shipped from USA to Australia via myus.com.
I'm scared of QNAP because of their security issues.
What can you recommend to me?
Thank you for channel.
Best wishes,
John
Thanks for reaching out! It sounds like you have a diverse set of needs for your first NAS setup, and both the Synology DS1621+ and Ugreen 8-bay options are compelling choices.

Given your requirements, the Synology DS1621+ seems like a solid fit. With its powerful hardware, expandability options including M.2 SSDs and RAM upgrades, it can easily handle your multimedia storage needs, backup tasks, CCTV surveillance, and even virtual machine hosting for your web development projects. Plus, Synology's DSM (DiskStation Manager) software offers user-friendly management and a wide range of applications to suit your needs.

While the Ugreen 8-bay NAS may offer a tempting discount, it's essential to consider factors beyond just the initial cost. Synology has a reputation for robust security features and regular software updates, helping to mitigate potential security concerns. On the other hand, if security is a top priority for you, it's crucial to thoroughly research the security features and track record of any NAS brand you're considering, including QNAP.