Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology DS1522+

I'm new to the group and thank you in advance for any input here.

I'm considering upgrading from my QNAP TS-469PRO due to 1) it is no longer supported by QNAP, 2) security issues with QNAP relative to Synology, and 3) the prospect of moving to a more user-friendly operating system. I've watched numerous nascompares videos and have decided the Synology DS1522+ may be the optimal solution, but had a few questions. Note that my use case is for backups of our Macbook Pro and Dell laptop data (my spouse is a Realtor and operates her business from home and I'm retired, but with many photos and videos).

What I'm considering is a DS1522+ with 32GB RAM (2x Synology RAM DDR4 ECC Unbuffered SODIMM 16GB D4ES01-16G, Synology E10G22-T1-Mini 10GbE Network Upgrade Module, and 5 x Seagate Exos X16 ST16000NM003G 16TB 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drives, 512E/4KN, SED. I understand that the Seagate drives are not on the Synology compatibility list, but have seen enough videos to know this probably isn't an issue. Since most of the use of this device will be for backup, I'd deferring the purchase of NVMe at this point.

Questions: 

1) do you see any issues with the choices I've made, especially the inclusion of SED drives?
2) do you agree with my deferral of NVMe?
3) given that the DS1522+ is a 2022 model, what is the estimated support window for this model?
3) any other advice or considerations?

Thank you for your input.
Choice of Seagate Exos X16 - Synology does not officially support Self-Encrypting Drives (SED) like the Seagate Exos X16. While the drives may function normally, Synology may not provide support or warranty coverage for issues related to the use of SED drives.

Deferral of NVMe: Since your primary use case is for backup purposes, deferring the purchase of NVMe SSDs at this point seems reasonable. NVMe SSDs are typically used for caching or hosting frequently accessed data to improve performance. You can always add NVMe SSDs later if you find the need for increased performance.

Support Window for DS1522+: Synology typically provides software updates and support for their NAS models for several years after their release. The DS1522+ is projected to be supported until at least 2032. However, this is subject to change based on Synology's policies and product lifecycle.

Additional Advice or Considerations: It's great that you've done your research and chosen a NAS model that aligns with your needs. One additional consideration could be implementing a backup strategy that includes offsite backup or cloud backup solutions for added redundancy and disaster recovery. Synology NAS devices offer various backup solutions, including Synology C2 cloud backup, which could be worth exploring.