Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS upgrade

A bit late to the party, but I discovered this week via your videos that Drobo is now dead and gone. I was waiting for my Storaxa to arrive, but now that it looks like that won't happen I need another option. I currently have a Drobo 5N and a Drobo 5N2 that I'd like to move away from and consolidate the drives into a single unit. This will require a mix of drives (3x18TB and 2x12TB in on drobo, 2x10TB and 3x8TB in the other). I realize this points to Synology, but I'm a little underwhelmed by their hardware offering for the price. I'm considering DIY but am wondering if FreeNAS or UNRAID can handle this sort of drive mix. I recall reading years ago that UNRAID can, but I haven't been able to find it explicitly stated in my week's research. All that said, I'm looking at a 10-12 bay NAS, probably with 2.5 Gbps connectivity (currently only using 1 Gbps and I'm not set up to leverage 10 Gbps just yet).
You've certainly got options to explore for your NAS upgrade journey! Considering your mix of drives and desire for a 10-12 bay NAS with 2.5 Gbps connectivity, both FreeNAS and UNRAID can handle this variety of drives and configurations, offering flexibility and scalability. While Synology might seem underwhelming in terms of hardware for the price, it's worth noting that their software often outperforms other brands, providing a smoother user experience. If you're leaning towards DIY, both FreeNAS and UNRAID can be installed on compatible hardware, giving you even more flexibility in crafting your perfect NAS setup. If you're keen on exploring NAS options further, our NAS Finder tool can help narrow down your choices based on your specific needs and preferences.
https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/?sel...&users=1-5