Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Potentially Undocumented Seagate IronWolf 8TB Drive on Amazon?

Hello, community!

I've recently stumbled upon a Seagate IronWolf model (ST8000VNZ02, 8TB Internal Hard Drive NAS HDD, 3.5 Inch, 5400 RPM, 256 MB Cache, SATA 6 Gb/s, Silver) on Amazon that has caught my eye for my upcoming setup. I cannot post the link, but it is findable on Amazon German, Amazon UK and some other UK retailers by searching for ST8000VNZ02.
However, after doing some digging, I've noticed something peculiar: this specific model doesn't seem to appear on Seagate's official website, nor could I find it in any datasheets. This discovery leaves me with a few questions and a bit of skepticism regarding its legitimacy and specifications.

I'm considering purchasing three drives for my Synology 923+ NAS, which I plan to place in my living room. My use case involves setting up a media server and storing some datasets for machine learning projects.
I would greatly appreciate if anyone could shed some light on:
  • The legitimacy of this specific model found on Amazon.
  • Any insights or backstory on why it might not be listed on the official Seagate website.
  • Recommendations on whether this drive would be a suitable choice for my intended use, especially considering noise levels in a living room environment.
I'm particularly curious about the 5400 RPM speed of this drive and how it might perform over a 1GBe Ethernet connection that I plat to later update to 10. Given my use cases, would this potentially be a bottleneck, or is it adequate for my needs?

Thank you in advance for any information or advice you can provide!
It's possible that the specific model number you found, ST8000VNZ02, could be a typo or a regional variation that's not listed on Seagate's official website. It's not uncommon for brands to create separate serial numbers for different countries or regions.

Rest assured, the drive is likely legitimate, and it should be perfectly fine to use in your setup. However, it's always a good idea to verify the product's authenticity by checking the seller's reputation and reviews.

Regarding compatibility with your Synology DS923+ NAS, it's worth mentioning that using drives not listed on Synology's compatibility list may trigger a warning message. However, this can usually be disabled with a simple hack or workaround. I recommend consulting Synology's support documentation or community forums for guidance on how to do this.

As for the drive's performance, with a speed of around 200MB/s, it's indeed lower than the bandwidth of a 10GBe network. While this may result in some performance limitations, especially during large file transfers or heavy usage, it should still provide adequate performance for most home NAS applications.

For your convenience, here's the full list of drives compatible with the Synology DS923+ NAS: Synology Compatibility List https://www.synology.com/en-uk/compatibi...o_ssd_trim