Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

upgrading NAS capability

I currently run WD PR4100 (72TB RAID5) as a multi-media server (Plex), and I have QNAP TR-004 (32TB JBOD) connected via USB to a Windows 10 PC as a file server for documents/data (Office, photos, etc).

Plan is to buy a new QNAP NAS (72TB RAID5) and to migrate data server from TR-004, which will then become a backup server role for secondary backup of data.

I am considering the QNAP TS-453E as the new device, with 4no. WD Ultrastar 18TB HDDs (RAID5 to give 54TB available). I would partition with 4no. shares to replicate the current partitions offered on TR-004.

Q: can I daisy chain the TR-004 via USB off the back of TS-453E, and make all shares from both devices available to Windows 10?

Q: is TS-453E an appropriate solution for this case, or would you recommend another QNAP device (I don't consider other brands). TS-453E will also run Plex, and I like the 2no. HDMI ports, 2no. SSD slots, and 2.5GBe). Thought about TS-433 but this seems less suitable.

Thanks for your opinions.
Thank you for reaching out with your upgrade plans and questions regarding the QNAP TS-453E NAS device.

Regarding your first question about daisy-chaining the QNAP TR-004 off the back of the TS-453E, yes, you can connect the TR-004 to the TS-453E via USB. The TR-004 will be recognized as an additional volume on the NAS and can be accessed as a shared folder. This setup allows you to consolidate your storage and manage all your data from one centralized location.

As for your second question, while the TS-453E is capable of running Plex and serving as a file server, considering your needs for Plex usage and file management, you may want to explore NAS models with a quad-core Celeron processor or faster for optimal performance. You can find a selection of such NAS models tailored for Plex usage on our website here.

These models offer enhanced processing power and are better suited for demanding tasks like Plex media streaming. Exploring these options may help you find a NAS that better aligns with your requirements.

https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/?sel...upgrades=1