Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Decision between DS224+ and DS723+

Hi, I found your videos on youtube when searching for information about the new Synologies and the alternatives between their models.
I'm thinking about purchasing the DS224+ but I think the DS723+ has beeter performance, right?

PEr other hand, if I understood it correctly, the DS224+ is better for streaming, if used as Plex server or similar, as it has integrated graphics. Would it be much different if I configure Plex on the DS723+?

If not, which model yould you recommend for a home use (Phone mobile backups, private documentation backups, medai server, local database)

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
Franco
Thank you for reaching out, and I'm glad you found our videos helpful in your search for information on Synology NAS models.

Let's break down the differences between the DS224+ and the DS723+ to help you make an informed decision:

Performance:

The DS723+ offers better performance compared to the DS224+ due to its higher-end processor and more RAM. This means faster data transfer speeds and smoother operation, especially when handling multiple tasks simultaneously.
Integrated Graphics:

The DS224+ features integrated graphics, making it well-suited for multimedia applications like Plex. It can handle media transcoding more efficiently, resulting in smoother playback on various devices.
While the DS723+ doesn't have integrated graphics, it can still run Plex effectively. However, it may rely more on the client devices for transcoding, which could impact performance slightly.
Considering your home use requirements, including mobile backups, private documentation backups, media server, and local database, both models can meet your needs. However, here are some considerations:

If you prioritize performance and plan to use your NAS for intensive tasks or expect heavy usage, the DS723+ may be the better choice due to its superior hardware specifications.
If you focus more on multimedia applications like Plex and want smoother transcoding capabilities without relying heavily on client devices, the DS224+ with its integrated graphics could offer a more seamless experience.
Given your budget of 700€ and storage requirements of 4-8TB, both models are within your price range. Ultimately, it comes down to your specific preferences and priorities.

If multimedia streaming and Plex usage are essential to you, the DS224+ could be the ideal choice. However, if overall performance and versatility are more critical, the DS723+ might be a better fit.