Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Should use new, different NAS?

Have been using McCloud PR2100 for years with Plex. Now, with new Dell laptop and Windows 11, I am struggling to overcome Permissions issues with my Public folder of the NAS. Some files/folders are still accessible Read/Write. Others "You do not have permission, this container does not ..........". Talked to Microsoft tech, then to WD tech. This tech was able to make it work for half a day by making it Private, then Public again and by changing the IP address to 192.168.1.241.
Do I need to go to a different brand such as recommended by you, also with expanded storage, also Plex capability?
I'm sorry to hear about the ongoing permissions issues you're facing with your WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS. Dealing with such frustrations can indeed be quite challenging.

Considering your situation and requirements, it might be worth exploring alternative NAS brands that offer expanded storage capacity and reliable Plex capability. While WD NAS devices are known for their user-friendly interface and affordability, other brands like Synology, QNAP, TerraMaster, Asustor, TrueNAS, or Unraid also offer robust solutions with excellent features.

With a budget of $2500 and specific requirements for Plex capability and expanded storage, the Synology DS423+ could be an excellent option. It offers a perfect blend of performance, reliability, and features that align with your needs. The DS423+ is equipped with a graphics chip, ensuring smooth multimedia streaming and transcoding capabilities, making it an ideal choice for your Plex setup.

Alternatively, if you're looking for the best NAS solution out there and willing to invest in premium features, the QNAP TVS-h874 could be worth considering. This NAS offers top-of-the-line performance, extensive storage options, and advanced features like a dedicated graphics card for demanding multimedia tasks.

By choosing the DS423+ with its graphics chip or considering the TVS-h874 for the best-in-class performance, you can potentially resolve the permissions issues you've been facing while also gaining access to a robust and future-proof NAS solution.