Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SSD NAS

I currently have an iMac 2015 which I am going to be replacing with a new M3 iMac. I didn’t want to include more than the 256Gb that’s included. So wanted to use a NAS drive store all my other data including movies, photos, documents etc. I previously had a couple of WD 2Tb hard drives to keep my movies on but they died & were unrecoverable without sieving more than a few thousand to do so. So I’m looking at the Flashtor 6 for my home setup & would appreciate some help/advice as exactly what SSD’s to use or indeed whether this is the setup I should be going for.

Please help.

Many thanks,

Kou.
Thank you for reaching out, and I'm sorry to hear about the issues you encountered with your previous hard drives. It sounds like transitioning to a NAS setup is a wise move for your data storage needs.

Considering your requirements and budget, the Flashtor 6 appears to be a suitable option for your home setup. It offers the performance benefits of SSD storage and should provide a reliable solution for storing your movies, photos, documents, and other data.

When choosing NVMe SSDs for caching in your NAS setup, it's essential to prioritize reliability, especially considering the high volume of read and write operations involved in caching. You'll want to look at reliability ratings such as DWPD (Drive Writes Per Day) and MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures).

Here are a few NVMe SSD options to consider for caching in your Flashtor 6, along with their DWPD ratings:

Samsung 970 Pro: 0.66 DWPD
Samsung 990 Pro: 0.68 DWPD
Synology SNV3400: 0.68 DWPD
Seagate FireCuda 510: 0.7 DWPD
Seagate IronWolf 525: 0.7 DWPD
Seagate Firecuda 530: 0.7 DWPD
Seagate PS5 Game Drive: 0.7 DWPD
Seagate FireCuda 520: 0.9 DWPD
WD Red SN700: 1.0 DWPD
These SSDs offer varying levels of durability and performance, so it's crucial to choose one that best fits your specific needs and budget. Aim for models with a DWPD rating of 0.5 or above to ensure reliability in caching scenarios.