Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS923+ config

Awesome videos! Thank you

I just bought 923+ with 4 x 4TB, 20 gb memory (4+16) and 2x nvme 400gb

My question is if I should go with raid 10 or 6 in terms of performance keeping in mind 2 ssd for caching.
what do you think? should I setup ssd as raid 0 or 1 for r/w cache?
I am mostly working on simple doc doc and large pdf files with photos of case files.

I need only about 2 tb of storage so raid 6 and 10 are future proof for me with 4x4tb (i get almost 3 times storage I need with raid 6 or 10).

cheers
Maciek
I'm glad you found the videos helpful, thank you for the feedback!

Considering your DS923+ setup with 4 x 4TB drives, 20GB of memory, and 2x 400GB NVMe SSDs, you have several options for configuring your storage to meet your needs:

RAID 5: Offers single-drive redundancy, providing a balance between performance and data protection. This option could suit your requirements well if you prioritize a mix of performance and storage efficiency.

RAID 6: Provides dual-drive redundancy, offering higher data protection at the cost of slightly reduced performance compared to RAID 5. If data integrity is a top priority for you, RAID 6 might be the way to go.

RAID 10: Delivers high performance through both striping and mirroring, making it ideal for tasks requiring intensive data processing such as video editing. While it offers less storage efficiency compared to RAID 5 and 6, it ensures superior performance.

In addition, configuring the NVMe SSDs as RAID 1 for read/write caching can further enhance performance, especially for tasks involving frequent access to large files like PDFs and photos.

Ultimately, the choice between RAID 5, 6, or 10 depends on your specific needs and priorities. Each RAID level offers its own balance of performance, redundancy, and storage efficiency, so consider your workflow requirements carefully before making a decision.