Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Entry plex 4K nas

Howdy,
I’ve been looking for a while for an NAS system that would work as a Plex server for myself, and my wife. At most, there will be two people using it at once. I’ve ripped a lot of my 4K Blu-rays and compressed them into H.265. We’re looking at getting a new 4K telly in September, but for now it’s just 1080p. So we’ll need a NAS that can handle transcoding down to 1080p. We dont plan on using it for anything else.
I recently saw your review of the new Terramaster F4 424 and that seems great, but it’s a little outside my price range at the moment.
As a side question, do you sell any of the NAS systems you have to review? I was wondering if I could buy it off of you cheap? (You don’t ask you don’t get)

Really enjoying the content, keep up the great work

Cheers,
Louie
Thanks for reaching out again! I appreciate your interest in finding the right NAS for your Plex server setup. Based on your needs and budget range, let's delve into the options available:

You're correct in noting that Realtek-based NAS models can efficiently convert 4K content into 1080p using their built-in video apps. This functionality allows for seamless playback on your current 1080p TV. Later on, when you upgrade to a 4K TV, Plex can handle playing the original 4K files without the need for transcoding.

For your convenience, here's a list of Realtek-based NAS models that fall within your budget and should suit your needs:

https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/?sel...upgrades=1

Synology DS223j [RTD1619B 1GB 2-Bay] - $189.99
Synology DS223 [RTD1619B 2GB 2-Bay] - $189.99
Asustor AS5202T [J4005 2GB 2-Bay] - $379.99
Alternatively, if you're looking for more robust performance for 4K transcoding, you might consider NAS models with Celeron-based CPUs. Here are a few options:

Synology DS224+ [J4125 2GB 2-Bay] - $295.99
Asustor AS6602T [J4125 4GB 2-Bay] - $369
Qnap TS-253E [J6412 8GB 2-Bay] - $509
These models offer enhanced processing power to handle 4K transcoding efficiently. You can explore their features further and choose the one that best fits your requirements.

Unfortunately, we don't directly sell the NAS systems we review. However, you can find these models at reputable online retailers or local electronics stores within your budget range.