Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Choosing wisely, love the videos!

Uses:
TimeMachine for MacBook Pros… 2.5TB now, 4TB soon
Backups of iPhones to stop paying Apple for iCloud.
Store tons of photos so they are organized and searchable instead of in racks of DVDs
Setup Filecloud/Onecloud to get rid of Dropbox, etc.
Be able to run Home Assistant, Pi Hole, etc.
Be a data hoarder so I can snapshot systems to revert to after upgrades if needed, etc.
Setup a Plex server
Space to be a friend’s “cloud backup” and he can be mine

Plan:
Invest in large & extendable NAS to be future proof-ish
Probably at least 4 bay but with just two 20TB HDDs
Get IronWolf Pro, Red Pro or N300 Pro so they will last
Have M.2 NVMe slots for apps or performance
Have 10G Eth capability for the future

Problems:
The DS1522+ seems good except Plex
The DS423+ is weak on RAM and no 10G

Choice:
The DS1522+ is the most future proof and Plex can be run on another device that uses the NAS for the storage

Do you agree, is my logic sound, suggestions?
Thanks for this!!
Thank you for reaching out and sharing your detailed plan for selecting a NAS solution. I'm impressed by your thorough approach to meeting your storage and data management needs. Here's my take on your considerations:

Your utilization of the NAS for various purposes, from TimeMachine backups to running Home Assistant and Pi Hole, showcases a diverse range of requirements that need careful consideration. Your plan to invest in a large and extendable NAS with 20TB HDDs, along with choosing reliable drives like IronWolf Pro, Red Pro, or N300 Pro, indicates a commitment to durability and longevity.

I understand your dilemma regarding Plex compatibility with the DS1522+ and the RAM limitations of the DS423+. However, your decision to prioritize future-proofing with the DS1522+ and utilizing another device for Plex storage appears to be a practical solution given your needs. It's worth noting that the DS1522+ still supports Plex and can handle video conversions up to 1080p, along with streaming 4K original file formats, despite lacking dedicated graphics.