Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New QNAP NAS

Dear Sir(s),

Please can you advise on which drives are suitable for QNAP TBS-464-8G. From what I have researched, the perfect drives for this machine are Gen 3x2. However, I can only find Gen 3x4. Can you suggest any 3x2 drives and where I can find them, or the Gen 3x4 alternatives. FYI, I've had a Synology drive for the past 15 years, and the one I have now is now outdated (DS215j).

Thanks in advance, Dean Morton
Your QNAP TBS-464-8G supports PCIe Gen 3 x2 interfaces, but it's important to note that it is backward compatible. This means you can use SSDs designed for PCIe Gen 3 x4 interfaces without any issues, although they will operate at Gen 3 x2 speeds. So, the lanes don't necessarily need to match.

When selecting NVMe SSDs for caching, reliability is crucial, especially considering the high read and write operations involved. It's essential to look at metrics like DWPD (Drive Writes Per Day) and MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures).

Here are a few NVMe SSD options with their respective DWPD ratings:

Samsung 970 Pro: 0.66 DWPD
Seagate FireCuda 510: 0.7 DWPD
Seagate FireCuda 520: 0.9 DWPD
Seagate IronWolf 525: 0.7 DWPD
Seagate Firecuda 530: 0.7 DWPD
Synology SNV3400: 0.68 DWPD
WD Red SN700: 1.0 DWPD
Choosing SSDs with DWPD ratings of 0.5 and above ensures durability and longevity, making them suitable for caching purposes. You can refer to this list for more details: NVMe M.2 List with Endurance (DWPD/MTBF).